Old June 13th 18, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default Safety against commercial pressure?

Agreed, a crappy ride (bumps, swearing from the backseat, etc.) can KILL the enthusiasm of a noob.
We would rather have them walk away unfulfilled rather than them have a bad ride.

Crappy Soaring days (no lift, no ridge) can be good for rides. Nice smooth ride, no drama, cold slide from release.
If you have lift, go for slight flight extension, don't work hard and keep things smooth, watch your ride. If you see them get tense, Frikkin back off.

Worst "ride" I ever did was at a Snowbird contest a long time ago. Asked a low time glider pilot to ride as ballast and as a learning experience.
Surface winds, 20+, winds at 1000', 50-60MPH.
We released upwind after the second hard rope snap.
Passenger learned what you could fly in, also learned why we don't do it (done in a 2-33).
I canceled the day based on what I saw (I was also CD that year).

No, don't fly rides in crappy/rough weather with nonpilots, if you misread weather and get caught, try to smoothly get out. I would hazard a guess most ride operations around the world have a similar outlook.

Doing rides is slightly gaining income. Mostly it is trying to hook new students. Thus, do things that are more likely to keep them coming back.