Old June 14th 18, 11:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Auxvache

Default Cobra trailer stuck closed

On Saturday, June 9, 2018 at 7:42:23 AM UTC-4, Auxvache wrote:
Anyone have any experience with the gas strut failing in the compressed position? My 2002 fiberglass top didn't quite open fully on its own in March, so I ordered replacement struts. Unfortunately, the next time out the top only opened a few feet, then progressively less as I tried to lower and then raise it. Now it is stuck closed and will not open even a crack despite two people hauling on it. Did I mention the glider is still inside? I can't get to the strut from the front door with the fuse and wing in the way.

So, I'm trolling for ideas on how to force the top open without damaging something. Thanks in advance.

Dissuaded from plan A (stuffing the trailer with helium balloons) and plan B (a small explosive charge), I was lucky enough to find a friend with a hoist mounted to the ceiling of his hangar.

We used a 2x4 and small straps to distribute the lifting force on the handles. Hoisted it enough to get the top propped, then disconnected from the handles, moved the trailer back a little, and put a long 2x4 across the inside, hooked the ends with straps to the hoist, and lifted some more. (FWIW, there's not much room behind the rudder as the top gets higher.) The stuck strut put up a commendable fight, and after three feet or so there was a pronounced tilt toward the affected side.

Maybe we should have waited longer to see if it would gradually hiss open, but instead I crawled inside and unbolted the strut from its top attachment.. None of the awful things I was picturing happened, and the strut stayed compressed. Removing it completely, we were interested to find that the whole cylinder had expanded enough to make getting it out of its square sleeve difficult. It eventually accepted defeat and getting the new one in was easy enough.

Thank you again all for your helpful suggestions! Happy flying.