Old September 17th 03, 10:06 AM
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN

In article ,
Charles Talleyrand wrote:
Suppose someone tried to land an F4F Wildcat on a modern American
aircraft carrier. We'll give the carrier a few hours to prepare, and lets assume
the carrier is at sea and moving.

Can a WWII fighter land on a modern carrier? Can it get back in the air?

Given the much lower take off and landing speeds of WW2 aircraft, I'd not
think there'd be a problem. At the extreme of low take off and landing
speeds, ISTR the fleet Air Arm museum's Swordfish landing on and taking
off from Illustrious a year or so ago as part of the commemoration of the
60th anniversary of the Taranto raid - which of course would not present
any problem to a Stringbag as Illustrious, while smaller than US carriers,
is a lot bigger than many of the ships Swordfish operated from.

--
Andy Breen ~ Interplanetary Scintillation Research Group
http://users.aber.ac.uk/azb/