Old September 15th 04, 04:00 PM
Ryan Young

(Ryan Young) wrote That got me to thinking. Taper
pins.

http://assist.daps.dla.mil/docimages...3/28/54217.PD4

Threads on the outside. I'll have to run the reamer in from the sump
side, through the aluminum angle and control the depth pretty
carefully.

Another dabbler chimed in:

Hi Ryan,
I am not keen on using taper pins in this application. You will be relying on
the magnesium to hold the pins and I think it is a little soft for that task.
It seems like the sandwich idea with the through bolts will keep the mount from
moving around better.

CW

AS21 and AS41 have compressive yields up around 20ksi, comparable to
2024 - in the Annealed state! In the tempers we usually use for things
like wing spars, the yield is about 62K.

Plus, it looks like there is no way to get a reamer in from the case
side anyway. See the web page I built last night,
http://users.lmi.net/~ryoung/sonerai...sEngineMnt.jpg

Scratch that idea. Back to AN3 bolts in reamed holes, hold the epoxy
;-)