Old October 14th 04, 03:16 PM
Dave Butler

Kyler Laird wrote:

It's not clear to me that this is a terrible burden. A student
sitting in front of enroute charts can figure out reasonable solutions
so I assume I can program a computer to do the same in short order.

I always got stuck at trying to find a reasonable choice for the node at which
the enroute structure should be entered and exited. Once you pick the end points
(where to enter and leave) the choice of routes is just an OR optimization
problem, as others have noted.

I think that learning to disregard edges that aren't of interest is
the key. This seems fairly simple at first but in mountainous regions
with low altitude restrictions it could get difficult because you might
need to go far away from a direct route.

Perhaps altitude requirements need to be included in the costs.

Dave