Old March 17th 05, 04:16 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"paul kgyy" wrote in message
ups.com...

I was doing some practice IFR at home last night with my simulator, and
set up for random failures. First thing that happened was complete
electrical shut down - no radios, no VOR, no Xponder, and it suddenly
occurred to me that I'd never thought through what I would do. I do
carry backup comm and gps but what if those batteries were also dead,
and I'm in IMC? I know where I am, but there's no way that I can
continue on course for very long. There seem to be only 2 options, and
both involve finding VFR (go down if ceilings permit, or head for
nearest VFR laterally), but both involve flying off course/altitude in
cloud without a working transponder.

I'd appreciate some insight from the group.

You answered your own question. If the only option is heading for VMC then
head for VMC. Perhaps ATC will have a good primary target and be able to
keep other IFR aircraft away, but if they don't there's nothing you can do
about it.