Old March 17th 05, 04:40 PM
Nathan Young

I have had a total electrical failure. It was night, but fortunately
not IMC.

That experience got me to rethink my IFR cockpit mgmt techniques.
Having a GPS and handheld radio are not enough. The GPS needs to be
turned on and tracking sats. The handheld needs to be easily
accessible (think map pocket) vs. in a flight bag in the backseat.
Jacks to easily plug the headset to the handheld COM are a must.

Also handheld COMs have terrible transmission/reception due to their
small antenna. Expect no more than a few miles. Many people put an
antenna splitter off the main COM antenna to an empty cable
specifically to be connected to the handheld in this event.

-Nathan

On 17 Mar 2005 07:05:22 -0800, "paul kgyy"
wrote:

I was doing some practice IFR at home last night with my simulator, and
set up for random failures. First thing that happened was complete
electrical shut down - no radios, no VOR, no Xponder, and it suddenly
occurred to me that I'd never thought through what I would do. I do
carry backup comm and gps but what if those batteries were also dead,
and I'm in IMC? I know where I am, but there's no way that I can
continue on course for very long. There seem to be only 2 options, and
both involve finding VFR (go down if ceilings permit, or head for
nearest VFR laterally), but both involve flying off course/altitude in
cloud without a working transponder.

I'd appreciate some insight from the group.