Old December 27th 04, 06:34 PM
Frankster

Why not just have new lenses from your old prescription put into the same
frames. That should be relatively inexpensive, right?

As far as offshore... I would think the aggravation would be worse than the
cost difference for the above.

As for v!@#r@ and c1@l!$ offshore... you DO need a prescription for those
too, but it is granted on-line, based on a documented on-line
questionnaire... or so the explanation goes anyway.

-Frank

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
My medical requires me to wear lenses which correct for distant vision.
There, that makes this post on-topic.

I've been wearing contacts for over 30 years, same prescription every
time, hasn't changed in all that time. I also carry a set of regular
glasses in my ditty bag on the off chance some day I'll tear a lens while
on the road and have to use the glasses.

As you can imagine, after 30 years of fighting it out with the toothpaste
and razor, tumbling about as the airplane moves smartly through
turbulence, those glasses are scratched and pretty snotty looking.

I still have the original prescription for those backup glasses from 30
years ago, and the glasses still give me better than 20/20, but I don't
see paying my eye doctor's Hawaiian vacation this year with the ridiculous
price for what in essence is about a dollar's worth of plastic. I don't
mind seeing him once every other year and getting all the tests for
corneal scratching, ulceration, and whatever that puff of air tests for.

I guess the short question is whether anybody has found an offshore
eyeglass supplier? I mean if I can buy v!@#r@ and c1@l!$ offshore without
a prescription, why can't I find an offshore supplier for a simple thing
like glasses -- simple myopia without any astigmatism?

Anybody?

Jim