Old August 9th 03, 04:06 PM
Rich S.

"Ron Wanttaja" wrote in message
(snip)
How will the FAA determine if a particular homebuilt fits the

requirements?
If I build an RV-3 and license it as a "Fly Baby" (perfectly legal...I can
name it whatever I want) with a "Wanttaja C-85 engine" (looking
suspiciously like an O-320 with a new data plate...again, perfectly

legal),
and put in the logbook that it stalls at 39 knots (it's a single-seat
airplane....who can contradict me?) will I be able to fly it without a
medical?

We can probably assume they will not have the budget to inspect each and
every homebuilt, both existing and yet to be built for compliance. They
could easily write a provision requiring "certification of compliance" by a
DAR, I suppose. Or they could simply write you up after the crash for flying
a non-complying aircraft. I'll guess door #2.

Rich S.