Old July 4th 05, 01:05 AM
James Ricks

Anyone know of comparative review of several GPS's in one place?

No. www.Sporty's.com has a grid-like comparison, but unlike Consumer's
Reports, they would have a vested interest in your choice.

My $.02 worth: Lowrance comes complete- mounts, automotive/nautical software,
even batteries. Their software is easy to update online using readily
available SD memory cards, not proprietary memory. At about 60% the cost of
comparable, though incomplete Garmin. Garmin's high end 296 has surface
elevation database, whereas Lowrance just uses Jeppesen Obstructions database,
so you have antennas, mtn. peaks and such, but not the surrounding terrain.

I enjoy my Lowrance 1000. With a little looking around you can get one of
these for $500 or so.

Best wishes. . . Jim