Old March 28th 06, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

Default New Vintage Category ???

"Montblack" wrote in message
From today's AvWeb:
http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/avflash/602-full.html#191860
EAA Proposes New Vintage Category

"Earl Lawrence, EAA's vice president of industry and regulatory affairs,
says too much time and money is spent trying to comply with regulations
that do nothing to improve the safety of aging aircraft, and in fact, the
current rules have become an impediment to safety. "We need a different
system," he told AVweb on Saturday. EAA and the Vintage Aircraft
Association have asked the FAA to create a new category for vintage
aircraft, Lawrence said. "Aircraft flown by private owners in low-stress,
personal flying need to be able to modernize. We need to make it easier
for owners to maintain their aircraft and keep them safe while cutting
down on paperwork." The FAA liked the proposal, he said. It would make
their work easier, and enable them to use their limited resources more
efficiently. But that doesn't mean change will happen overnight. A 10- to
12-year time frame would not surprise anyone, Lawrence said."

Offering Owners Of Old Airplanes A Choice

"In their proposal for a new vintage category, EAA and the VAA said that
such aircraft would not be limited in size or complexity; Part 43
airworthiness regulations would still apply; the installation of parts and
items that are not PMA- or TSO-compliant would be allowed; and aircraft in
the new category would lose any privileges to carry persons or property
for hire. The owner would have the option to transfer to the new category
or not. No specific age limits were proposed."

[Me again]
It would be nice if at some point (30 years?) the plane would be
considered a homebuilt - it's yours, do what you want with it!

This proposal is half way there but be careful what you ask for, you might
get it. Experimental category is not nirvina.

"30 years of oversight, our job is done. Now it's up to the pilot/owner" -
FAA.

Yeah, that'll happen ...in about 30 years! :-)

Montblack