Old November 4th 09, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

Default bleeding brake help

In article ,
"Pintlar" wrote:

Marchetti Sportster...
. . . Are there any tricks to bleed the brakes on this homebuilt?
Four master cylinders, one on each pedal, running to two 'T's, where a
single tube continues to each wing. Thinking of using a vacumn pump, to
pull the fluid down to the caliper.
Also, can anyone reccommend a good radio service shop in the Northwest?

I was taught ALWAYS to bleed aircraft brakes from the wheel UP.

A simple pump-type oil can with a length of plastic tubing can serve
well as a bleed tool. Just make sure that it has a big enough reservoir
and that there is no air in the line.

Brake bleeding can be pretty messy and a two-man operation.

1. Pump the fluid into the tubing, leaving no air bubbles.
2. Attach the tubing to the bleed valve on the wheel cylinder.
3. Have assistant at the appropriate rudder pedal ready, with a drip
container, to open the master cylinder.
4. After assistant has opened the master cylinder, open the wheel
cylinder and pump until assistant sees only fluid and no air.
5. Close wheel valve; have assistant close the master cylinder valve.

6. Repeat #3-#5 for any other rudder pedal cylinders on that wheel.

7. Repeat #1-#6 for the opposite gear.