Old June 19th 04, 05:31 PM
Ragnar

"BUFDRVR" wrote in message
Ragnar wrote:

Then we've been in different "real Air Forces".

I'm puzzled. Granted, I'm relatively "new" in the big scheme of things,

but I
can recall squadron, group and yes wing commanders leading flights in

nearly
every conflict since the birth of an independant Air Force. LeMay, as

Group
commander led his group in its part in the Scweinfurt-Regensberg mission,

so it
appears senior leaders have been leading combat strikes since at least

WWII.
Billy Mitchell flew in the St. Mihel offensive, and he was the second

ranking
U.S. aviator in France. I'm not doubting your experience, just curious as

what time period we're comparing here?

\
My time period is 1983 and forward. My most recent flying wing had a
wing/cc that flew once a month and had an IP in the left seat the whole
time. The ops grp/cc was the same. All of the senior staff had an IP (or
equivalent) ride with them. They simply weren't qualified to fly the jet
unassisted.