Old June 19th 04, 06:16 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 01:31:38 +0900, "Ragnar"
wrote:

My time period is 1983 and forward. My most recent flying wing had a
wing/cc that flew once a month and had an IP in the left seat the whole
time. The ops grp/cc was the same. All of the senior staff had an IP (or
equivalent) ride with them. They simply weren't qualified to fly the jet
unassisted.

Used to be an AF reg that a general officer had to fly with an IP. The
trend for Wing CC's to be B/G would make what you encountered logical.

I recall, however, when I had a Wing CC at a pilot training base make
B/G, that he continued to fly with students, because he himself was
"an IP aboard". Also, as recounted in Tom Clancy's book "Every Man a
Tiger", Chuck Horner was flying F-16 missions single-seat during DS.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press