Old October 8th 08, 04:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ernest Christley

Default Primary Glider Drawings

Bill Daniels wrote:
Primary gliders are a huge amount of work to fly - expecially if you use the
traditional bungee launch method which is really the only safe way to fly
one. Aero tow or winch launch is terrfying in a primary - although this is
also done on occasion. (But rarely twice in a lifetime by the same pilot.)

To fly one as it was intended, you need a huge grassy slope that is slightly
shallower than the glide ratio of the primary. The bungee launch will get
the glider to just above stall speed a couple of feet above the ground. If
the pilot can hold the exact best L/D airspeed and keep it perfectly
coordinated, he will be rewarded with a glide of a couple of hundred yards -
maybe 30 seconds of airtime. If he deviates in any way from perfection, the
glider will quickly settle into the grass. If you have 15 - 20 knots of
wind up the slope, the instructor can run along side shouting instructions.
Then everybody gets to haul it back up the slope. All this exercise will
achieve about ten flights a day but it WILL get you in shape.

Bill, this is a good point, except veedubber was talking about using
these particular contraptions to attract young-uns. Now, I don't know
how it is where you live, but here in NC we get MAYBE one good snow a
year. These young-uns will bundle up till they look like balloons, then
go run up a snow covered hill for a slow bumpy ride down a shallow slope.

I could be wrong, but I'm just not seeing the physical exertion aspect
being a big detraction for the target group.