Old August 15th 05, 12:30 AM
John Sinclair

There's something about the presence of a photographer
that brings out the idiot in us. I remember a Nationals
at Uvalde a few years back. The CD made an announcement
on contest frequency that the local TV news people
were at the field and how about some 'worm-burners'.
Well, you can guess what came next. I saw guys pulling
up to clear bales of hay. As one pilot made a slight
heading correction, he caught his left wing in some
corn. The drag from this started the ship into a cartwheel
maneuver to the left in the direction of the Finish
Gate tent that contained the CD and a half dozen kids.
Luckily, his speed was great enough to overpower the
drag from the corn and he was able to get his wing
out of the corn and subsequently made a safe landing.

Food for thaught,
JJ Sinclair