Old April 8th 20, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Best option for electric self starting glider

Hello Magnus,

I can't respond to flight characteristics of the two self-launchers you mentioned (LAK-17C and GP-Gliders JETA). But, I can say that I sat in a JETA and also have JETA serial number 5 on order.

The JETA MTOG, per the provisional flight manual, is 525KG (1157 lbs). Below are the advertised self-launch numbers with the larger battery:

a) 5 x takeoff and climb to 800 m (2,600 feet) altitude, or
b) 1 x takeoff and climb to 800 m altitude + 150 km (80 nm) autonomy, or
c) 1 x takeoff and total climb to 4 500 m (14,700 feet)
d) my number: aero tow and 185 km (100nm) autonomy based on 20 nm/launch.

Climb rate: 3,7 m/s (728 fpm or 7.2 knots)

takeoff distance: 180 m (590 feet)

I visited the GP-Glider factory near Krosno, Poland (jokingly to make sure that they weren't operating out of a tent). I was happy that they were doing things correctly. A visit to the LAK factory would have given me a balanced experience, but I was not able to do that.

Raul Boerner
LS-6BWL