Old September 28th 03, 03:59 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Fred E. Pate" wrote in message
Tarver Engineering wrote:
"Fred E. Pate" wrote in message

GPS: TSO C129a, Class A1 (en route, terminal, and approach)

Yeah, your guess that he was referring to just the GPS portion is
correct. I've read about this "sole source" stuff in a number of places.
A non-WAAS reciever, as the 430s currently are, cannot be used as
"sole source" for anything except GPS approaches.

No, a 430 does not have accurate enough an altitude datum to be sole

means.
Altitude is the first portion of WAAS to turn out to be a bust.

Well, I don't think "sole source" is that restrictive. A VOR reciever
is approved as a "sole source" of navigation. You still need an
altimeter. "Sole source" just refers to horizontal navigation. All GPS
approaches are currently non-precision: no vertical guidance.

I do not believe "sole source" is regulatory. You may as well use the term
"eanie beanie".