Old June 24th 05, 08:51 PM
Tina Marie

Maule Driver wrote:
Happens less now. I generally file IFR unless there is a specific
reason to file VFR beyond CAVU. Why give up the extra eyes for

I've started filing an IFR flight plan for any flight that isn't
100% CAVU. I don't always pick it up, but I try to always have it
on file in case I want to. If the weather's going down, my workload
will be high enough without adding "filing IFR" to it.

The only issue I've had was coming out of AUS the other day - I'd
filed IFR before I left Houston, and when I was ready to leave AUS,
I called up clearance on the ground. As soon as they heard my
tail number, they went into IFR clearance mode, read me the whole thing,
then I had to say, "Well, actually, I just want to go home VFR".

He seemed confused, but we eventually got it straightened out.

Tina Marie