Old January 10th 18, 12:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]

Default Electric Towplane sets a new climb record

On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 4:30:12 PM UTC-7, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Is this the future? No more shock cooling here!
https://newatlas.com/siemens-airbus-...-glider/48806/

Nick - Indeed, the future is electric! Whether it is future towplanes or trainers like the Pipistrel Alpha Trainer, we will see more aircraft using electric motors. Gliders using the FES as a sustainer or as a self-launcher are already flying all over the world and have been flying for many years. We are seeing the development of the GP Gliders with electric self-launching capabilities which looks very interesting. Most of the major manufacturers now have gliders with electric capabilities including: Schempp-Hirth (including the new Ventus 3), JSC SportinÄ— Aviacija ir Ko (LAK gliders) HPH 304eS, Alisport Silent 2 Electro, Albastar, and now Schleicher with the ASG 32EL. Now are there issues? Absolutely! Is endurance and range a concern? Sure...The developers know this and there is a lot of work being done to help increase range via improved battery technology and other technical improvements.

We have definitely come a long way in the past 10 years, so just think where we will "be" 10 years from now!

Now, Nick...What you really need is more snow to fall in Telluride! (Maybe tonight!)
Thanks - Renny