Old July 14th 08, 01:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
RPM the A&P

Default Stressed Skin Repair Question

Hi,

I'm looking for input on the best way to layout a repair of some "hangar
rash" on the tail boom of my Taylor Coot amphibian project.

The damaged area is on a 10in diameter .065in 6061 T6 tube that serves as
the tail boom on this aircraft. The part was dropped and sustained a crease
roughly perpendicular (but not quite) to the length of the tube.

I have removed the displaced material and now have an opening 4.1in long and
1.1in wide.

Since I'll be joining two sheets of .065, I've selected -6 rivets. I also
realize that I'll need to slip roll the patch.

I'm now trying to apply the guidance for stressed skin repairs found in AC
4313-1B around paragraph 4-58 figure 4-16 and tables 4-9 through 4-11 (note
that there is apparently no table for 6061 T6).

Here is a link to an image showing the current state to the repair:

http://rilinterface.com/Cootnest/Ima...e/DSCN0997.jpg

I'd love to get folks' input on how best to lay out the repair for this.

Thanks!

Russ

http://rilinterface.com/cootnest