Old July 14th 08, 01:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

Default Stressed Skin Repair Question

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 17:21:39 -0700, "RPM the A&P"
wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking for input on the best way to layout a repair of some "hangar
rash" on the tail boom of my Taylor Coot amphibian project.

The damaged area is on a 10in diameter .065in 6061 T6 tube that serves as
the tail boom on this aircraft. The part was dropped and sustained a crease
roughly perpendicular (but not quite) to the length of the tube.

If it were my money on the aircraftand if I owned it.
I'd throw out the tube and replace it.

2 reasons.
the rivet holes will reduce the strength of the tube no matter how you
lay out the repair.

aluminium and particularly 6061 is subject to fatigue.
you cant ever get away from this because it is an inherent
characteristic of aloominum.
these tubes are not the optimum shape structurally and have stresses
that arise from poor resolution of the loads on them.

I WOULD REPLACE THE TUBE.

ymmv
Stealth Pilot