Old July 16th 09, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft,rec.aviation.military
JohnO

Default Engine Out Operation

On Jul 17, 8:42*am, Charles Talleyrand wrote:
On Jul 16, 4:07*am, Dan wrote:

Charles Talleyrand wrote:
I'm curious. *Can a Blackhawk, Chinook, or other large military
helicopter hover with one engine out? *What is the procedure for one-
engine-out operations for large helicopters? *I assume no one auto
rotates a 30,000 lbs helicopter???

The obvious internet searches didn't help.

-Much Thanks
-Charles Talleyrand

* *H-3,H-53 and H-60 can auto rotate. Watching an H-53 recover from auto
rotation is truly impressive. As far as I know all helicopters can auto
rotate. Every helicopter crew I have been around trains to do so.

* *As for single engine hovering they can do it depending on air density
and load. Above a certain density altitude no helicopter can hover.

* *An empty H-53 or H-60 can take off on a single engine at sea level.
An H-3 can take off on a single engine, but given the choice I'd prefer
number one engine since the other tends to run a tad weak due to the FOD
shield.

If the large helicopters can autorotate, and cannot hover with a
reasonable load on just one engine, why do they have two engines? *It
would seem that you would have smaller odds of failure with one large
engine rather than two smaller engines. *If you have two engines, and
failure of either leaves you kinda screwed, it is not better to just
have one engine?

Or am I missing something?

-Curious
-Charles Talleyrand- Hide quoted text -

They might not be able to sustain a hover but they are likely to be
able to maintain altitude in level flight.

In other words, the remaining engine will allow them to fly to a more
convenient crash site!