Old June 26th 11, 04:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Atheist Chaplain[_2_]

Default Filament wound airfoils. (again)

"Paul Saccani" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 20:54:35 +1000, "Atheist Chaplain"
wrote:

Probably fixed tricycle to start with.
There was a page on the net by Mark Langford detailing his modified KR2
build and he had some wonderful methods for laying down bubble free glass
skins as well as the use of Carbon fibre for leading edges etc. sadly upon
checking my bookmarks I find it has disappeared

Google is my friend :-)
http://www.n56ml.com/

I have to say, I haven't had the best success with those kinds of
materials, myself. Just a matter of lack of familiarity, I suppose,
but I am far more comfortable with metal.

VollyWobble or what?

not a fan of auto conversions, Jabiru make a couple of reasonably priced 4
and 6 cylinder engines designed for the job.

IIRC, the KR2 was designed around the 1600cc volleywobble. The
installation of the Jabiru engine is extremely finicky if you can't
get a FWF kit for your aircraft. The oil sumps on them are also
incredibly small, with a maximum oil consumption rate that can result
in oil exhaustion within hours. A lot of people have had a great deal
of trouble in setting them up so they won't over heat.

Mark Langford uses a corvair in his KR, albeit with a few (known) issues
popping up.
As to Jabs eating oil I have not come across this problem just yet in the
J160 I (semi)regularly fly, and a friend who owns a J230 doesn't seem to
find it a problem and he regularly flies it long distances for his work. I
suppose a modified larger sump could be manufactured if it became a problem
:-)

You can actually get certified VW engines, BTW.

Have you got a set of plans yet?

not just yet, thought after a bit of a surf the other night, I am becoming
more enamoured of the Brumby kits, metal and rivets :-)

--
Cheers,
Paul Saccani

--
[This comment is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Church of
Scientology International]