Old December 17th 16, 06:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

Default inReach Explorer vs SE vs SPOT and tracking interval?

Kevin,

I've got the older Pre - Explorer / SE black box InReach. Except for the first one that was defective, dropping out and stopping tracking by itself (they replaced it free), it's been rock solid.

I use it with both power plane and glider, the glider with a shorter tracking interval and power longer, as the track is most often straighter with a power plane so course line can be projected.

It's rock solid. I've had delays sending a message when I was camping in a steep canyon up in Idaho with limited view of the sky, had to wait about 5 minutes for a sat to come in view I guess.

I'm going to upgrade to a new InReach model, but trying to hold off as it's time for Garmin (who purchased InReach) to come out with a new model with a better display. If I was going to buy one now, it'd be the SE while waiting for the new models.

bumper