Old August 10th 04, 03:12 PM
Ron Wanttaja

On 10 Aug 2004 05:50:10 -0700, (Dave068) wrote:

I am torn between building or restoring a plane. My question lies in
how do I get a rebuilt plane reregistered and is there an age or type
limit of what I can rebuild(say a navion45 vs a 50s cessne 300
series).

No, but if you restore an aircraft, you'll need a A&P to sign off your
restoration work. With a homebuilt, it's just an inspection prior to the
first flight. With the restored aircraft, you'll need an A&P with an IA to
do the annuals. Build it yourself, and you can receive the Repairman
Certificate that allows you to perform the annual inspections.

With a rebuild, part of what you'll do is chase down replacement parts.
These can be rare, and are almost always expensive. You are allowed to
fabricate them, but this is subject to the A&P's approval and can be
difficult in the case of a machined, cast, or forged part. If you think
you can improve anything, you may have to get FAA approval to install a
modified part (my old Stinson partner has been awaiting weeks for an STC
approval for the installation of a right-angle drive for a vacuum pump).

On the other hand, a restored certified aircraft is a known quantity.
Insurers feel more comfortable, and the resale value is well established so
you know what the plane will be worth when you're done. Except for a few
brands, homebuilts have a much weaker re-sale market.

Ron Wanttaja