Old September 7th 03, 06:26 AM
John Morgan

"Ian Forbes" wrote in message
news
Hi All

I am contemplating getting a transponder for our LS3a. It seems the choice
is between either a 175W or 250W Becker "ATC 4401" unit or the Microair
"T2000".

I have the 175 watt Becker with ACK A30 encoder in my 26E. No clue how long
the ship's 18 AH avionics battery would power it as there's solar panels on
the engine bay doors helping out. If I turned off WinPilot I could probably
sell power to the utility. In any case, I suspect it'll last way longer than
me. AFAIK the 250 watt Becker is only recommended if you spend a lot of time
in the upper flight levels.

Antenna is mounted on the belly just aft of the gear door. The thinking is
to get the antenna as far as possible, within reason, away from the pilot's
body. No sense testing the long term effects of high frequency radiation.

For the reasons you mentioned, the Terra isn't worth considering unless dirt
cheap. Even then, may not work long enough to justify cutting a rectangular
hole in the panel to mount it - - considering that you'll have a tough time
putting any other piece of gear in the non-standard hole.
--
bumper
"Dare to be different . . . circle in sink."

---