Old September 9th 03, 10:47 AM
CH

I am not so sure if a transponder makes sense, if not in a powered
sailplane. I was told, that only with a transponder I could cross a
20km whide controlled airspace - ok - get a transponder in and
test fly it.

Same situation asking permission to cross the same area.
ATC: do you have a transponder ... yes
the usual switch on procedure followed and then the permit to
cross the airspace ending with - keep flight level at xxxxxx ft
my answer: glider CH cannot keep flight level
ATC: withdraws permit to cross airspace
(too much work to shuffle traffic vertically as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
ok then - rip the transponder out.

- Transponders for gliders are just battery flattening
- we should have a receiver telling us, where the big birds are
comming from

Chris

"Ian Forbes" wrote in message
news
Hi All

I am contemplating getting a transponder for our LS3a. It seems the choice
is between either a 175W or 250W Becker "ATC 4401" unit or the Microair
"T2000".

Has anybody had first hand experience with any of the above?

What were your experiences, which unit would you recommend?

Which altitude encoder did you use?

What batteries do you use and how long do they last in flight?

Where did you mount the antenae?

Have you had any operational or reliability problems while flying?

The alternative might be to get hold of an old Terra unit. However these
seem virtually unobtainable, not very reliable and very
difficult/expensive to repair if/when they fail.

Thanks

Ian