Old May 23rd 17, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Default Stemme S12 in Michigan this Saturday, May 20th (KOZW) @ 4 pm

Arcus overheating: I understand that one cannot run at full power for more than a few minutes with the ArcusM (or 32?). Sorry if I'm mistaken. Please explain further if I am. I also understood ArcusM's were impractical to cruise long distances under power (again, please correct me if I am mistaken). Also, IMO, the motor operation systems (despite improvements) are still slightly "finicky" (my experience)." As I understand it, the ArcusM and others like it are designed for self launch over an airfield and immediate soaring, not cross country cruising under power. In contrast, the Stemme can cruise easily at 140 knots for almost 1000 miles. One thing I love about the Stemme is that if the good weather is 50 or even 100 miles away, one can fly there under power in minutes. So, cross country cruising practicality (overheating, speed, efficiency, lack of ground handing at far off destination vs the Stemme which can easily taxi and tie out, etc.) is what I'm getting at regarding over-heating. If ArcusM owners are doing this kind of power flying, and over-heating is no concern, I had no idea.

Stemme S12 impressions: The Stemme was unbelievably practical in terms of rigging and hangaring and taxiing (vs ground handling and towing out to runway) and of course general self launch flying charateristics. But the gleaming advantage I see is he Stemme's especially quick, easy and reliable engine start and general operation when soaring and needing the motor to start NOW. After flying in the Stemme yesterday I realized almost immediately that there is simply no comparison in these areas to any other glider with the exception of FES. I flew for an hour into 25 mph headwinds, got low (1200 ft) and within 3 seconds of saying "ok, that's enough" the engine was running and the throttle was being advanced. The only downside I can see is that landouts in fields are not a good option (flipping over forward in soft ground is a risk) and once in said field getting out would be a major undertaking. That and of course the fairly significant price tag. But overall as a self launching motorgliders this thing is incredible.

Again, it is an interesting decision. I also wish to fly at an airport where the Arcus or 32 would be very impractical (likely impossible). I would need to integrate with moderate regional airport power traffic and there is no grass parallel for glider operations.

All I can say is that the world would be a better place with many more Stemme's (or ArcusMs or 32s) available for Cross Country training. 20 minutes from arriving at the airport and taking the keys out of the cars ignition, the Stemme can be at altitude and soaring cross country. That is a unique and almost magical capability.