Old May 24th 17, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Stemme S12 in Michigan this Saturday, May 20th (KOZW) @ 4 pm

With its dual main wheels, the Stemme can taxi on a very narrow taxiway
since the wings are always level. In crowded areas, however, the wing
span can be a problem. That can be solved by having the wings folded in
congested areas.

On 5/23/2017 3:11 PM, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
On Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 1:26:01 PM UTC-4, Sean Fidler wrote:
Maybe I'll get the boys to bring the Ionia Arcus over to the Howell airport and see how it taxis. No question that the ArcusM is a phenomenal sailplane.

Thanks Dave.

The only issue for these big birds is availability of wide taxiways. I am lucky that from the hangar to a runway I have probably 150-200 feet wide path. I have a wing tip wheel so all of my wing needs to be on the taxi way. Some airports don't have taxiways wide enough for a 21 m ship like mine. So there is always a reason to put on the 18 m tips. Arcus has a wing wheel a few feet inboard from the wing tip and that will probably solve the narrow taxiway problem. The wankel will also easily cruise to a destination at low power settings with no heating up issues at all. You don't need full power for cruise. You would exceed speed limit for the airframe if you tried to maintain a level flight with full power.

--
Dan, 5J