Old March 5th 08, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Strange vehicle hanging out near runway

On Mar 5, 2:49*pm, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
I went for a quick flight yesterday evening and I notice a couple of
guys hanging out near the end of the runway. This is a pretty quiet
airport so people around are noticable. At first I thought they were
watching someone solo. However, as I taxied by them I noticed that
they were in a John Deere mule with a orange and white checkered flag.
I don't know many people who drive around in mule's with checkered
flags. Could this have been the FAA or CalTrans? They were there when
I returned. Luckily I didn't land before the numbers this time (1/2
our runway is displaced so pilots often land before the numbers).

-robert

Anyone working on an airport needs to display this style of flag. it
could have been people spraying for weeds, surveying, fixing lights,
fixing fences, a contractor looking over the place before he/she bids
on a job or 100 other good reasons to be there. It is a high
probability there were legit.. The ones who you should really be
looking close at are the ones just on the outside of the fence, with
binocs, a walkie talkie and dressed in camo. Remember, it is up to all
of us pilots to challange anyone who looks suspect. If it bothered you
enough to post this here then you probably should have taxied back and
quizzed them right after you landed,,,
Jus my ol opinion ya know...