Old October 28th 09, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

Default Declared first emergency last week

On Oct 28, 12:46*pm, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:
In article
,
*"Ken S. Tucker" wrote:

On Oct 27, 5:23 pm, brian whatcott wrote:
Ken S. Tucker wrote:
It's a good case to practice some 'dead stick' landings. AFAIK you
should be able to kill the bird anyway in the circuit and dead stick.
That's how I was trained on a cessna-152.
Ken

It used to be training SOP to pull the throttle to idle onto base
until the cold shock issue forced a gentler kinder approach
Brian W

Never heard of that, but I can understand it.
Ken

I was taught to pull the power on downwind, even with the desired
touchdown point.

--
Remove _'s *from email address to talk to me.

In my Mooney with its IO 360, we consider it a good approach if the
throttle does not have to be advanced from downwind until turning off
of the active (and using the brakes to slow down on the runway is
considered bad form). At most airports I use good planning would be a
touchdown maybe a 1000 feet past the numbers to make the first turnoff
comfortably, so my thinking is if the engine chooses to fail I do have
some altitude in the bank.