Old September 6th 17, 09:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default Motorglider Endorsement

On Wednesday, September 6, 2017 at 7:59:26 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I see my posting was not clear. My story tried to illustrate that a "cockpit checkout" is not well defined, and in the case of that specific CFIG, was completely misunderstood. For a useful checkout, a non-CFI pilot who is well acquainted with the model can probably do a better job than a CFI who is not.

When I got my first glider, which was an HP-14, single-seater with flaps and no spoilers, I got checked out by a CFIG in a *Cessna*, which was appropriate, since that allowed dual practice with flaps. I was also used to flying the Cessna at that time, so could demonstrate knowledge and proficiency in the use of flaps. I wonder if a powered plane (with a suitably rated CFIG) could be used for dual training for the motorglider endorsement, if a 2-seat motorglider is not available?

Generally no since it won't meet the guidance in AC 61-94. Everything beyond that is going to be a more detailed discussion with the FAA.

Schleicher motorglider purchasers at least are well covered with Williams having an ASG 32Mi for flight instruction and the common operation across different Schleicher motogliders. I notice Phoenix as well including instruction for their motorgliders out of Minden. I'm not sure which other arrangements dealers have for self-launch endorsements and sign offs but it seems important and something I would look for when considering buying a motorglider.

(Years ago I did a self-launch endorsement with Rolf Peterson in a Grob 109.. Largely irrelevant to the ASH-26E I was about to buy, but we knew that and Rolf provided very good and still useful training. I then I did a ASH26E sign off by Rex at Williams with help from a very experienced ASH26E owner.. With stuff as funky/finicky as some motorgliders I would really try to spend time with experienced owner/operators to avoid expensive or dangerous mistakes. I've seen stuff as simple as sharing and refining rigging and pre-flight checklists to be really useful).