Old December 4th 03, 07:03 AM
hlg

"Peter Kemp" peter_n_kempathotmaildotcom@ wrote in message

Westland Whirlwind (one of my favourites)

I assume here that you refer to the WW2 fighter-bomber. Let down by
unreliable engines.

TSR.2

Technically, this met or exceeded all its performance requirements, and
promised even more. However, costs were going through the roof, and the
project was not merely cancelled; it was destroyed stone by stone, and salt
ploughed into the ruins.

My suggestions:

Saunders-Roe (SaRo) Lerwick. WW2 twin-engined flying boat; some problem with
the hydrodynamics of the planing portion of the fuselage meant that it
rarely managed even to get out of the water and into the air.