Old June 8th 10, 12:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

Default Aero engineer for designing homebuilt aircraft.

On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 16:56:32 -0400, "Peter Dohm"
wrote:

The Auster J1B isnt a kit aeroplane. down in the tail there is a
location where the fuselage tubes form a "V" shape.
on each side of this V shape is some 1/8" steel riveted in position to
make a box.
in the standard aircraft there is a 10lb triangular lead weight bolted
in front of this "V".
if you put a metal prop on the aircraft instead of a wooden prop there
is a couple of pounds of lead in a triangular wedge to go in the box.
if you add the exhaust muffler on to the straight stacks there is
another triangular lead piece to go in the box.
all told I think there can be 21lbs of lead in the tail.

in flight you notice nothing if the CG is in the right place.

I wouldnt feel embarassed about some lead ballast to get the cg
correct. the aircraft will be a lethal trap if you dont get the cg
right. your passengers wont even see the lead so why worry about it.
of course if you make a second aircraft the way is open for some
tweaking to remove the need.
Stealth Pilot

The truth is: I agree!

It's just that I have run into so many people over the years, who seem to
place so much enphasis on weight that they seem willing to add a pound of
drag to save two pounds of weight, and frequently have seemed willing to
make some other questionable trades in other areas as well, that I just felt
compelled to make a comment about it--even if a few minutes more thought
might have provided a little better phrasing.

Peter

I had a fellow pilot complete a rebuild of his aircraft after the 3rd
crash destroying it.
you think you'd write him off at 82 after the third prang :-)

"how'd the rebuild go mitch?"
"3 lb lighter overall than last time" he said with some excitement.

Mitch earned my undying respect that day.
the accidents are just part of an active flying pasttime in an
unforgiving environment but to have the focus on weight control at age
82 when the temptations must have been to 'make it a bit stronger'
showed me that he is focussed on what matters.

doesnt pay to become jaundiced in life. some people surprise you when
you least expect it. :-)

Stealth Pilot