Old April 2nd 05, 07:17 AM
Ernest Christley

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired wrote:
Dick wrote:

Received an old , externaly corroded Piper altimeter a while ago and
I'd like to take it apart for a look-see but can't figure how the guts
mechanism comes out. Presently have the glass lens, holder and knob off.

Any suggestions short of cutting the case in two G would be
appreciated.

Thanks, Dick

Look at the back of the case for screws. The innards are mounted to the
back of the case.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Dan, can it be opened without destroying the instrument?

I have a Garwin, Inc. altimiter. Serial number 721, dated Mar 29 1962.
It's in working condition, and I'd like it to stay that way. It has
a little crust on the inside of the front glass. Not enough for me to
pay someone to clean it, but I'd like to run a damp cloth across it if I
could get to it.

--
This is by far the hardest lesson about freedom. It goes against
instinct, and morality, to just sit back and watch people make