Old August 30th 05, 10:29 PM
Ghazan Haider

Default Which airplane?

I've been browsing various aircraft for ownership and cant decide. It
must easily carry 2 people with some baggage at least 600km at the
minimum cost. IFR is preferable. Engine OH costs should be minimal.
Speed/looks/noise are non-issues. Must be all-metal however.

I've seen the zenith kit airplanes and am a big fan of the CH801. The
kit with a used Lycoming costs 35000 or so (plus the cost of building
it). I've seen used but flyable C152 for $14000. That makes me wanna
relax my weight requirements.

How much does fuel cost for a C152 for a 600km journey?

Is it better to try and get an engine that can burn mogas?

I've seen car engine conversions. Are their TBO really high as in cars?

With extra tanks, how far can you go in a Mini-MAX?

Apart from these, I've seen that aircraft similar to Cessnas cost less
for not having that brand name. Beechcraft, Cherokees and Luscombes
generally cost less than Cessnas. Whats a good choice on a serious
budget? Or rather; whats the cheapest way to fly 600km or so with two
people? four people?