Old February 21st 06, 04:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Default Red Pheonix- A Couple Of Reality Checks

We weren't Weasels. We just had our Gunsmoke Fast Fac pick one of three
sites for us on his first pass up in MR1. (1972) Then as he went to the
tanker we'd take off. We'd call him once on our way up out at sea down
about 100 feet MSL and he'd tell us which site he was going to mark. We
worked the time using jargon code so we were popping as he rolled into
mark the van with a pair of Rx. First time we tried this we took 8 F4s.
That was overkill; after that we used 4 birds at a time. The radar van
was our target and we got 5 of them. Our load was 12 Mk82 and 2 CBU52.
We were in and out real fast because the sites were all interlocking.
That's were I found out an F4 KIAS can go 745 at 4000 AGL with Mers,
Ters, 2xAIM7 2xAIM9 and a CL bag. BTW only one bird ever took a hit and
they got home okay.
Walt BJ