Old October 23rd 06, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
WhatEver

Default Can there be false lobes on a *localizer*?

wrote:
I recall reading about false lobes on the glideslope, and have seen it
firsthand doing practice approaches in VMC. I thought it was due to antenna
sidelobes, and thus the localizer might be subject to a similar phenomenon. I have
yet to see anyone reference this, so is there a technical reason why they don't exist?
One of the localizer transmitter frequencies have a different antenna pattern to
interleave the sidelobes perhaps?

-Cory

If properly maintained they cancel out. However, it can be a
major problem if the facility is not maintained correctly.

The technical term is null