Old April 22nd 04, 11:13 PM
John Galban

"Anthony L" wrote in message news:WFGhc.753$YP5.129551@attbi_s02...

I figure it is
~50-60/month to get a loan on the PP license.

This was the statement that caught my eye. If your financial
situation is such that you'd need to take out a loan to get your
training, I'm guessing that buying/operating/maintaining a 30+ yr. old
airplane is probably going to be a huge burden. While you don't have
to be rich to own an airplane, you do need to have chunks of available
cash to cover the unexpected. I don't have enough fingers to count
the number of owners I know that have had to do an engine overhaul
when they least expected it (~$15,000). Less drastic problems can
easily dispose of $1K here, or $2K there. This is particularly common
in the first year that you own a plane.

I'm not trying to discourage you from airplane ownership. On the
contrary, I think it's a great thing. I just want to stress that you
need to be finacially prepared to do it right. It would be a shame to
have to pay a big monthly payment on an airplane that you couldn't fly
because of an expensive maintenance item.

Best of luck,

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)