Old April 10th 04, 03:31 PM

If the clearance was, in fact, maintain 3000 until intercepting the
localizer, I would have asked ATC for my distance from NEPCO and, if I was
within the PT distance, asked them specifically if this was "vectors to
final". I would NOT have used "readback what I want" trick and hope that
ATC would catch the error if they made it. Why be indirect and take a
chance on confusion, when you can ask your question directly?

This is one of the consistent big disconnects in vectors to final where the
controller fails to call the distance from EK. Had the controller stated a
poition less than 10 miles from EK, then the guy would have been established
for approach clearance purposes as soon as he intercepted, whereupon he could
have descended to 2,600 and gone straight-in.

But, this doesn't sound like a vector to final clearance to me. Sounds like
the guy was cleared non-radar direct to EK, which would have required a course
reversal.