Old January 29th 08, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Neil Gould

Default Twice as fast for less gas

Recently, Phil J posted:

On Jan 29, 11:15 am, "Neil Gould" wrote:
Recently, Phil J posted:

http://www.airspacemag.com/issues/20...y_turbines.php

Very interesting article, and given Gerry Merrill's credentials,
quite plausible. Unfortunately, it isn't surprising that he has
repeatedly run into the wall presented by a market too small to
support such a project. The notion seems to be, "If we build it...
they still won't come." Remember the BD-5?

Neil

Yeah, it's an interesting concept. I suspect the dollar amounts he
mentions are way optimistic though. I don't think his engine would be
any cheaper than a turbine engine like the PT6A. Lancair has a 4-
place kit powered by a PT6A, and they estimate the total cost at
$750,000 to $1,000,000. And that is for a kit. Still, the VLJs have
proven there is a market for small jets. Maybe there is a market for
even smaller jets.

Phil

I think Merrill's pricing reflects large production quantities. Lancair's
production volume reflects the number they expect to be able to sell, and
I suspect those numbers seem more realistic to potential investors.
Consider the number of GA pilots that would pursue the ratings, pay the
insurance, and so forth. If anything, Jim Bede's planes demonstrated just
how shallow that pool really is (that, and little matters like I can't fit
in a BD-5... there is no way the canopy would close without my head in my
knees, and though I got in, I had one heck of a time getting out).

Neil