Old May 24th 20, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default KGARS - Kiting Glider Automatic Relase System

On Saturday, May 23, 2020 at 5:25:47 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Initially I thought the next step would be some sort of datalogger, but it has occured to me that 3-4 GoPro cameras could collect some interesting data. One camera looking aft from the towplane release area like in the following video...

https://youtu.be/-EbSg4YLrfQ

Then 2-3 cameras in the cockpit. One in a position to see the elevator inputs during the flight, one positioned such that the horizon is visible with perhaps some marks visible that could reference pitch angle.

Then perform a couple of kiting events at altitude and done in as safe a manner as possible to collect data. Unfortunately I’m not a towpilot nor do I own a towplane.

It certainly would be helpful to video a simulated towplane upset, but I think enough information is available from an inertial measurement unit (IMU), airspeed and altitude sensors, and GPS position information.

Tom