Old July 11th 03, 03:26 PM
Vassilii Khachaturov

Default need to rent(borrow?) 1-2 life vests (a raft?) for Oshkosh

Don't waste your energy flying over the lake. It will only take a few
extra minutes to fly around it and the scenery is great (if the haze isn't
too bad). Fly direct Gary and then up the lake shore.

Maybe we'll end up doing just that; at this moment I'm just
considering
what's available.

Chances are we'll be on an IFR plan (esp. in case of MVFR vis.)
In this case, we don't want to accept long overwater routing w/o
the survival gear aboard. My understanding is that, due to the area
airspace congestion during Oshkosh, the more options you have
available to accept safely, the better.

I don't think I could survive 2 hours in that water. The water is cold
even in the summer. Hypothermia is not fun. A number of years ago the
army lost a few soldiers in Florida due to hypothermia. They were wet, but
not in the water. It was 50 degrees out. They died of hypothermia. Cold
and wet is very bad.

I agree. My personal tried limits in a swimsuit are 22*C for 2 hours,
after which I was standing about 1/2hour in a warm shower in order to
stop shivering. I understand that it can easily be colder than 20* in
the lake,
I doubt I'll survive that on my own (maybe with some immediate
hypothermia
treatment right after that?) I don't think my clothes will add a lot
of protection. (Lower than 13* means I can't breathe in the water...)