Old September 29th 11, 07:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston

Default XCSoar Questions

On Sep 28, 12:06*pm, Ramy wrote:
On Sep 25, 12:16*pm, Max Kellermann wrote:

Ramy wrote:
Good discussion. I decided it is time to replace my 4700 PDA (which
keep freezing on me recently *when it gets too hot) with a Droid
running XCSoar. My understanding that the Dell Streak mini is the best
option currently, and am getting ready to get one on eBay.

That's right, the Streak Mini has the best sunlight readable display.
Get one while you can, it's out of production.

What is not clear to me is what else will I need to be able to
connect it to my 302 and the glider battery, including cradle,
without having to build it myself or pay more than the cost of the
tablet itself.

There are two options for the data connection: a Bluetooth adapter
(easy), or the IOIO (you need to solder it).

The battery connection is easy: the CAI 302 has a DC 5V outlet, which
you connect to a USB plug. *This is how my panel looks:

*http://max.kellermann.name/gallery/f.../PICT0423_1024...

Max

Thanks Max. Any suggestions for cradle?
Also, now that the Amazon Kindle Fire was announced, perhaps it could
be a better solution?

Ramy

It sounds like the Kindle Fire hardware is similar to the color Nook.
Nook has the advantage of an SD slot and is hackable....

Thanks,
Craig