Old April 24th 17, 04:55 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

[quote='Chris Rollings[_2_];944055']I have posted what follows on a previous occasion but, given the posts in
this thread, I think it bears repeating.

Chris,

Yours was one of the posts I paid the most attention to. I appreciate the approach you took to the problem and agree with your assessments although I think it's somewhat not feasible to eliminate aero tows to CG hook gliders. The vast majority of the high performance models I tow are CG but overall they are also being flown by the best pilots, never had big problem with one of them.

Short ropes, of course, bad idea but interestingly the rope on the student who kited low was a new rope and we make them longer to allow for repairs. This was not a problem in this instance.

These were largely inexperienced pilots, one student and one older gentleman who had not done an aerotow in quite some time. As I have noted earlier I will reserve the right to not tow someone for whatever reason. Having observed this older gentleman and had I known he hadn't done an aerotow in quite some time I would have insisted on some dual with an instructor.

Turbulence.....whlle there was some cross wind and we always have some thermals off the end of the runway it was not excessive, she flew two tows prior to the upset, she was not great but it was acceptable overall.

I agree with replacing all Schweizer hooks and this will be accomplished post haste with no argument or I will be gone.....

Release handle position....NO Question. These are things which I think should be on the FAA radar and under an AD note.

Thank you for your input, it greatly supports my position.

Walt