Old December 16th 05, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Actual Time in Sacramento

On 12/16/2005 08:22, three-eight-hotel wrote:

If you're going to want to fly through any actual IMC you need the IFR clearance. The way I would usually
request this is "Approach, N123, on the ramp at KXYZ, request IFR clearance for multiple approaches into KXYZ".
Note there is no "practise" in there-- but even if you said " request IFR clearance for practice approaches",
it's still clear that you want the IFR clearance. He'll ask which approach you want to start with, etc, and
then your clearance will begin "N123 is cleared to KXYZ via radar vectors, climb and maintain 3000, ...".

That helps! At what point can you start logging actual (based on my
scenario)?

Personally, I would log actual anytime I'm flying in conditions that require
me to control the aircraft by instruments only. The fact that it may be less
than VFR conditions doesn't really count - in my opinion.

If I intend to stay VFR and wish "practice" handling by ATC it would be more like this: "Approach, N123, 3 S of
KXYZ, request practice approaches into KXYZ". In such a case you would not hear "cleared to" ( though you
prbably would hear "cleared approach"), but you would probably hear "maintain VFR" sprinkled in with the ATC
instructions...

That's what I am used to... I think if I want to get "actual" practice
time in, I would go with your first approach. I'm still unclear though
on the logging.

Well, not to throw a monkey wrench in there, but another question is when
do you consider your approach as one that counts toward your currency?
For example, if you're in VMC, and practice an approach (no hood, etc.)
which includes only a small layer of clouds to get through, do you count
that?

After all, if the ceiling is at 2000', and you're vectored to the FAC
at 1500', you're flying the entire IAP in VMC conditions, right? Would
you consider this an approach toward your 6-month currency?

Thanks!
Todd

Sacramento, CA