Old September 26th 16, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Default AA Butterfly versus CNv LCD wind calculation

On Monday, September 26, 2016 at 1:19:46 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
On 9/26/2016 10:15 AM, Tango Eight wrote:
snip
Mechanical varios don't play well with modern pressure transducer type varios and should not share TE sources with them.

Evan Ludeman / T8

I have a 57 mm Winter mechanical and a CNvXC connected to the triple
probe in my Stemme. The needles on each track perfectly with each
other.

Which illustrates what goes wrong :-).

The effect of the mechanical vario is to slow the whole system down to its own speed.

If you are using the triple probe pitot and static for CNv's pitot and static inputs, and the static source is not shared with any mechanical instrument (pitot source may be shared with an ASI since the pitot aneroid volume is small), try setting CNv to "no probe" and see if you don't like the response of the instrument better. I suggest setting the audio & pointer time constants to 0.5 sec.

best,
Evan for CNi