Old March 31st 05, 05:06 AM

Used to discuss GA forced landings in a class I taught. Like the
lucky.
a) Tell someone what you're doing and where.
b) Stow all loose gear or heave it out the door.
c) Unlock the doors and leave them ajar.
d) Land into the wind. Not all cows' butts are upwind so check other
indications.
e) Keep best glide speed until the last few feet.
f) If you see two big trees close together put the nose right between
then. Taking off the wings will definitely slow you down.
g) if all you have under you is rocks or water i'm sorry . . .for,
rocks, see 'tees' above. for water, be advsed the airplane is very
likely to end up upside down. Be prepared to unstrap and exit
immediately after impact. I don't recommend unstrapping before impact -
I know one guy who did (GA) and ended up crammed under the instrument
panel. He had a hard time getting out before the bird sank. Flotation
- if you have anything at all take it with you. Remember/learn how to
make waterwings out of your trousers.
h) Farms/Pastures - a nice fresh plowed field is usually so soft you'll
flip over. be prepared.
i) Flat range land may rpt may be as good as a sod field in that you'll
come to a stop upright and in good shape. Don't bet on it.
j. Find out (manufacturer?) if it's better with your rpt your airplane
to put it in gear down or gear up. For example, on Boeing aircraft the
gear is a 'mechanical fuse' designed to shear off before the structure
it's attached to fails. If your bird has fixed gear that question is
already answered.
k. Lock harness and tighten safety belt while still well above ground -
say 1000 feet if possible.
l. Just before touchdown switches off, fuel off.
m. Full flaps and flare to touchdown at stalling speed; every knot shed
here means less inertial/kinetic forces on touchdown. be cool; don't do
this twenty feet in the air.
n. Lots of luck . . .
Walt BJ
PS the Martin-Baker seat is a sudden but smooth ride and beats the
alternative.