Old March 8th 20, 11:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default Trouble in Paradise (Omarama)

On Sunday, March 8, 2020 at 8:50:30 AM UTC+13, Duster wrote:
"A recent CAA study applied the social cost of accidents to the actual level of flying activity, estimating the average social cost for adventure aviation activities (both commercial and recreational) to be approximately $61.00 per person per hour of exposure (significantly above a safety target level of $13.00).

https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/g...y/social-cost/

Do I have this right? That the government is trying to reduce the social cost of adventure aviation, by improving the safety record, by improving the medical-fitness-to-fly of instructors (1st Class Medical)?

I don't think that replacing the most proven and experienced pilots with younger, less proven and experienced, but more medically fit instructors, is going to reduce the likelihood of accidents, especially at Omarama. And swapping out pilots at an operation that has a clean safety record seems misguided.